I suggest you ...

Allow indicating when several email addresses are the same person

Many people use two or three email addresses: one for business and the other one for social stuff. If I know both of them, why can't I get the same info on both of them?

1,524 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mario .Mario . shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    IlyaIlya shared a merged idea: Possibility to add additional e-mail to user profile (to search in social networks by this e-mails)  ·   · 
    Siddhartha KattojuSiddhartha Kattoju shared a merged idea: Merge contacts with multiple e-mails  ·   · 
    Alan SwartzAlan Swartz shared a merged idea: Create a way for us to link multiple email accounts for the same individual.  ·   · 
    Dr Dheeraj GroverDr Dheeraj Grover shared a merged idea: lot of people use two email ids personal and professional so its difficult to locate them!  ·   · 
    Ashok Kumar ElluswamyAshok Kumar Elluswamy shared a merged idea: search for profiles for all email ids of the person mailing me rather than the one in the mail  ·   · 
    Jason ClarkeJason Clarke shared a merged idea: Allow me to link multiple email addresses to my profile  ·   · 
    SkylerSkyler shared a merged idea: Search more than just the e-mail address so that it finds people that register under different email  ·   · 
    Ashit VoraAshit Vora shared a merged idea: Let user help you to serve them better.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: I see most of my friends information is not coming bcos they use different id for fb,linkedin etc.  ·   · 
    Eric WinchesterEric Winchester shared a merged idea: allow us to sync up public email addresses with work email address  ·   · 
    Richard MartiRichard Marti shared a merged idea: Offer people the opportunity to link email address to profiles  ·   · 
    Blake JohnsonBlake Johnson shared a merged idea: It would be nice to be able to link multiple email addresses to one person  ·   · 
    anonymousanonymous shared a merged idea: let me connect emails together  ·   · 
    Tzury Bar YochayTzury Bar Yochay shared a merged idea: email aliases - since all of us own few addresses  ·   · 
    Matthew BooksMatthew Books shared a merged idea: Link email addresses to social connections  ·   · 
    anonymousanonymous shared a merged idea: Allow us to append more data to profiles. My gf has 3 addys; she emails from 1 and fb's from another  ·   · 
    Christine GarlandChristine Garland shared a merged idea: Pull information form all email addresses listed on social network sites  ·   · 
    Vincenzo VecchioVincenzo Vecchio shared a merged idea: tracking one email address is often not enough. can you track more than one for each name?  ·   · 
    Martyn BromleyMartyn Bromley shared a merged idea: Add more than one email  ·   · 
    Pål AndreassenPål Andreassen shared a merged idea: Allow me to enter alternative email for contacts. Often their official email is != the one FB etc.  ·   · 
    Mike BoasMike Boas shared a merged idea: There should be a way to combine identities & links for people with multiple emails.  ·   · 
    Derek RivardDerek Rivard shared a merged idea: use all of contacts emails to find services they're a part of  ·   · 
    Shelby EricksonShelby Erickson shared a merged idea: Link contacts. (example: merge work and personal email)  ·   · 
    Adrian TacheAdrian Tache shared a merged idea: Allow users to add another email address for contacts  ·   · 
    planned  ·  Sam StokesAdminSam Stokes (Admin, Rapportive) responded  · 

We’ve made some progress on this: once you’ve connected your Google Contacts to Rapportive (http://blog.rapportive.com/address-book-inbox-together-at-last), then if you have several email addresses for a contact, we’ll recognise that the different email addresses are the same person, and show the same profile for all of them. This means you can “link” two profiles together by creating a contact in Google Contacts with both of the email addresses – however please note we could take up to a day to notice the change.

If we determine from your Google Contacts that two email addresses are the same person, that will be private to you – i.e. you’ll see the same information for that person from then on, but other people will still see them as separate. That’s because people often want to keep their personal and professional identities separate in public.

We know there are times when you want to link addresses together without mucking around with Google Contacts (especially if you don’t use Google Contacts for anything else!), and we’re still working on a way to support that.

We are also already working on a way for you to say “this email address belongs to me, associate it with my Rapportive profile” (obviously we’ll have to verify it really does belong to you!). That way people will be able to link together all the email addresses they use, if they choose to do so. (I use several email addresses myself, so I appreciate the need for this!)

Will update this when we know when these features are likely to roll out.

66 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • wada1wada1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MY additional email addresses are not linking to MY profile - even though they are all in the entry for myself in my Google Contacts. As a result, when I edit the profile associated with my Google acct, those edits are not reflected in the profile for /my/ X@Y.com account - which I'd like them to be. Also: No (apparent) way to edit my X@Y.com profile - which is kind of annoying actually.

• Bryan PriceBryan Price commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

X+Y@gmail.com was already in place, skipping the +Y part for some time before they came out with the multiple email addresses. I used the +Y for a mailing list, and at first, it never showed anything with my +Y, then it started showing my X@gmail.com information whenever the +Y address was referenced. So all of your +Y addresses should already be showing up just like your Y@gmail.com address. I suggest that you check it out. It's been working for me for months. I guess Rapportive has already made that decision. :)

• Matthew WeymarMatthew Weymar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@bytehead: Thanks. Done this. What about plus-addresses though? Should X+Y@Gmail.com default to the same profile as X@Gmail.com? Or not?... How should rapportive go about answering this question? Some sort of poll perhaps?... I use a lot of plus-addresses so had to add them all via the process you describe. A PITA - and I use more than Rapportive could handle easily.

• Bryan PriceBryan Price commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Matthew: I've managed to connect my various email accounts. But I had to do that with Rapportive, Rapportive doesn't try to go through your Google account and figure out what the multiple emails are. You type the new email in, you receive a confirmation email to click to verify, and you're done. And while that will hitch your profile to all those emails, when anyone looks at the profile, they only are shown the address they have.

• Matthew WeymarMatthew Weymar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MY additional email addresses are not linking to MY profile - even though they are all in the entry for myself in my Google Contacts. As a result, when I edit the profile associated with my Google acct, those edits are not reflected in the profile for /my/ X@Y.com account - which I'd like them to be. Also: No (apparent) way to edit my X@Y.com profile - which is kind of annoying actually.

• Nick GrossmanNick Grossman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll just add a big +1 to this feature -- right now this is the major thing that's annoying about rapportive -- seeing a big blank avatar for someone whose details (twitter etc) I already know, but are associated with a different address of theirs.

Apart from that (which is IMO a major issue), I really like rapportive so far. For me, #1 nicest thing (and reason I like it better than Gist) is that it covers up the ad space in my gmail window, rather than making a new pane the way Gist does.

Plus, integrations w/ services like batchbook are invaluable.

So, keep up the good work! I hope you can get the multiple email problem resolved soon.

• Aaron PerrellAaron Perrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems like this should easily work with the much requested gmail contacts connection feature. If two email addresses have the same google contact card, they are the same person.
        Or simply letting me enter extra emails into a filed under the person's name would do.

• Matthew RussellMatthew Russell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest link through contacts that have multiple addresses. E.g. someone that uses their googlemail and gmail address interchangeably doesn't tend to link properly. If I have both in the contact, then it'd be nice for rapportive to realise they're the same person.

• Chris BeamanChris Beaman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sync with Gist. Use their API/algorithm for determining which of several contact details apply to the same person

• Kevin HallKevin Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be simple for the case where a single contact has multiple e-mail addresses, ... check each of them on the social networks. Likewise for the social networks that have multiple e-mail addresses listed in their contact information... compare all the e-mail addresses to the one for the e-mail currently open.

• Jack VinsonJack Vinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this also cover the situation where I get an email from "Jill" and have several email addresses for her in my Contacts with one of those being linked to her LinkedIn / Facebook account? (And have the appropriate account info appear in the Rapportive window.)

Of course, I'd hope this would be connected to the feature of showing MyContacts information as well.

• Roger EklundRoger Eklund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my case I use google contacts for everything, syncing numbers and info to my phone etc.. And have work mail and private mail on the same contact. It would be nice if i got a mail from someones workmail which is not connected to facebook, and have their private mail in the same contact which is connected to facebook, for rapportive to recogninze that contact as the same automatically.

• Alan SwartzAlan Swartz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That way I can see the Facebook or Google information on someone who may email me with an account they do not have attached to either.

• Martin KleppmannAdminMartin Kleppmann (Admin, Rapportive) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all, thanks for your patience with this. We have done a major update on our backend which lays the groundwork for indicating that several email addresses are for the same person. We are starting work on the feature itself, but at the moment I can't yet promise how long it's going to take (we like to do things well, even if it takes a little longer). But it's definitely coming! :)

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base